Thursday, March 11, 2010

Black Tuesday ~ Susan Colebank review

Black Tuesday
Dutton Juvenile
June 14, 2007
208 pages
Amazon


Jayne Thompkins is the perfect, overachiever older sister while her little sister Ellie is the one who forgets her homework and gets caught fooling around with boys on her bed. Jayne is the one who's the star tennis player, the one is neck and neck for highest GPA (she checks routinely and knows how each test grade will affect things). Jayne has goals of attending Harvard. Jayne has everything figured out.

Except for what she's supposed to do now.

It was just a day like any other until accident. Jayne is rushing, not paying full attention and her car slams into another. Soon a girl is in danger of dying and Jayne is at fault. Her whole life changes in an instant.

Perfect Jayne isn't so perfect anymore.


The idea of this book (you can check Amazon for a lot more spoilers and such--after I started reading it I realised that the summary involves a lot that doesn't happen until well, well into the book, so I left some out) really did intrigue me. But then it was just sort of...okay for me when I read it. (And hard to remember as well, apparently.)

I never really cared for Jayne--I understood that she had pressure from herself and her mother about school and was trying to help her sister and I got her development though the book, but it just didn't really work for me. So much of the story is supposed to be Jayne reacting to and dealing with the consequences of those few seconds in the car but I never really felt that it was realistic. Or it was too focused on her. I understand that because she's the narrator/main character it needs to be, but...

I don't know, this book just didn't work for me-the characters, the plot's progression, it just wasn't a book for me. (Though it worked for the other Amazon reviewers!) And I'd still like to give Susan Colebank's new book a try because I really do love the premises she comes up with.


5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Trailer Friday [@RandomHouse @TransworldBooks]

Beth Dorey-Stein's From the Corner of the Oval  - a tale of being the White House stenographer during the Obama administration will be ...