Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Waiting On Wednesday [@ms_lilyanderson @wednesdaybooks @GriffinTeen]

Waiting On Wednesday is hosted by Breaking the Spine

My pick for this week:



NOT NOW, NOT EVER by Lily Anderson

The sequel to The Only Thing Worse than Me Is You, inspired by The Importance of Being Earnest.

Elliot Gabaroche is very clear on what she isn't going to do this summer.

1. She isn't going to stay home in Sacramento, where she'd have to sit through her stepmother's sixth community theater production of The Importance of Being Earnest.
2. She isn't going to mock trial camp at UCLA.
3. And she certainly isn't going to the Air Force summer program on her mother's base in Colorado Springs. As cool as it would be to live-action-role-play Ender's Game, Ellie's seen three generations of her family go through USAF boot camp up close, and she knows that it's much less Luke/Yoda/"feel the force," and much more one hundred push-ups on three days of no sleep. And that just isn't appealing, no matter how many Xenomorphs from Alien she'd be able to defeat afterwards.

What she is going to do is pack up her attitude, her favorite Octavia Butler novels, and her Jordans, and go to summer camp. Specifically, a cutthroat academic-decathlon-like competition for a full scholarship to Rayevich College, the only college with a Science Fiction Literature program. And she's going to start over as Ever Lawrence, on her own terms, without the shadow of all her family’s expectations. Because why do what’s expected of you when you can fight other genius nerds to the death for a shot at the dream you’re sure your family will consider a complete waste of time?

This summer's going to be great.



published November 21st by Wednesday Books

add to your Goodreads shelf // pre-order from Book Depo // or Amazon


Why?

I wanted to read Not Now, Not Ever because of how much I loved The Only Thing Worse Than Me Is You - and that was before I knew it was a 'sequel,' now I want to read it that much more!

The Only Thing Worse Than Me Is You was a fun, satisfying, happy, fandom filled ("a book that can give us David Tennant's Doctor-y hair, Buffy references, Veronica Mars love [and remind me I wanted to read Saga]"). Even more than the fandom references, though, I loved the characters and their story. I loved those characters and am curious (and eager) to see what we might learn of them in Not Now, Not Ever.

There is also so, so much I love about the new book's description. I love that Ellie has so many possible names, her family's history with the Air Force, her feelings about the Air Force, all that she's not going to do over the summer, and maybe most of all, what she does want to do.

I am looking forward to what happens in this story, who the characters are, what they experience and just reading this book that I know is going to be a great read.



That's my pick for this week, what's yours? Tell me in the comments and/or link me to your own post!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Trailer Friday [@RandomHouse @TransworldBooks]

Beth Dorey-Stein's From the Corner of the Oval  - a tale of being the White House stenographer during the Obama administration will be ...